This topic is very near and dear to me… as we get so many questions at ELITE Fitness Alliance about diets.
Read on to find out the absolute truth and how to PERMANENTLY stop DIETING!
Real talk: Diets
- Intermittent fasting
- Low Carb
- Low Fat
Is your head spinning yet? Mine is!
Who can keep up with all the fads!
What do these diets have in common to make them successful fat loss diets?
I can’t stress this enough.
When you are looking to lose fat, you MUST be in a deficit. So as hard as it is to hear..
- You can’t just eat bacon and cheese all day on Keto without watching total calories
- Eating veggies and rice and beans on a vegetarian diet and not watching total calories wont do it either
- Cutting nuts, oils, and fats on a low fat diet won’t help lose if the calories from the carbs and proteins are still in a surplus
- Intermittent fasting, only eating in a 6 to 8 hour window doesn’t matter if you are consuming MORE calories in that window than you are burning the whole day
Getting the idea now?
Numerous studies have shown that no one “diet” is better for fat loss. When they are compared, it still comes down to calories consumed.
So what SHOULD we do?
For the general population, keep it simple:
- Eat a balanced diet of protein, carbs and fats.
- Make sure you are eating 3-5 servings of fruit and vegetables a day
- Have protein with each meal
- Stay within the prescribed calorie range for your individual health and fitness goals
Included below are some graphics with more details on typical diets followed in the U.S.
If you like to eat lower carb, lower fat, vegetarian or intermittent fast because it works for your tastes or schedule, do it, just stay within your calories!